m.a. missional leadership
the ma (missional leadership) is designed to equip the student with both a theological and practical framework for leadership and ministry in a complex cultural context through leadership development, organizational development and strategic planning. critical evaluation of ethical issues in contemporary society rounds out a program that equips the student to navigate the demands of a globalized world while maintaining a relevant demonstration of the mission of christ.
the theological emphasis of this program is intended to prepare leaders to live out the relevance of the christian faith as experienced in a committed faith community. a ministry-specific research track enables the students to investigate their ministry context critically and propose future options for it. successful completion of this accredited degree equips a student to progress to doctoral studies at most credible academic institutions.
upon completing the ma (ml), the student should be able to:
- apply biblical principles of leadership to contemporary ministry contexts.
- evaluate and respond to cultural phenomena in light of scriptural values.
- formulate relevant ministry strategies for the globalized world.
- establish a system of ongoing evaluation of ministerial organizations
- quality education that engages with the context, reflects on theology and rethinks paradigms of leadership.
- rigorous courses offered in 4 one-week sessions per year.
- convenient, economical and innovative program that accommodates people with a busy schedule.
- emphasis on spiritual formation and personal development
- highly qualified and experienced faculty
- enhanced library services with capability to access theological databases from your home.
ma (missional leadership) students showcase leadership abilities and are looking to utilize their skills in ministry. many are full-time pastors, bi-vocational pastors or non-ordained staff seeking to increase their ministry effectiveness in the church, workplace or other vocations.
the ma (missional leadership) is a 48 credit program and you can complete in as little as two years.
there are thirteen courses of three credits each and a thesis of nine credits.
complete the program in two years
year one: complete seven courses over four residential sessions.
year two: complete five courses over four residential sessions and one course by distance education while beginning work on the thesis. students who anticipate completing the thesis during the second year can apply to participate in graduation ceremonies.
need more flexibility? students can utilize an additional six months for the completion of their thesis and a total of 6 years to complete the entire program. if a student takes longer than 6 years to complete their major, they will need to reapply to the program.
what is a residential session?
the residential sessions of the ma(ml) at trinity are four sessions of four days each per year. typically they will begin on a monday evening with a shared supper and a forum. the program will run full day tuesday – thursday and finish by lunch time on friday. the dates for the sessions are scheduled at least two years in advance for your long-term planning.
access to the internet is required for participation in the program.
on campus dates
2019-2020 school year
- august 19-23, 2019
- november 11-15, 2019
- february 24-28, 2020 (thesis seminar on february 27)
- april 27-may 1, 2020
2020-2021 school year
- august 24-28, 2020
- november 16-20, 2020
- february 22-26, 2021
- april 26-28, 2021